I want to be a Complete Cheapskate. A complete cheapskate, as defined by Mary Hunt in her book by the same name, has six characteristics. During the next week I will be intertwining this series in more detail. For now I just want to list the characteristics:
1. Does not spend more money than he/she earns, no matter how desperate the situation.
2. Has a spirit of generosity, regularly sharing money, time, and other resources with people in need.
3. Lives honestly and ethically, regardless of the temptation to do otherwise in order to get a better deal.
4. Saves at least 10% of all income.
5. Does not buy compulsively but makes intelligent and well-thought out choices.
6. Lives within a financial plan that includes a margin to allow fun and spontaneity.
Some of these seem to contradict and others seem pretty simple on the surface. As we begin to examine each step, I hope that we see where we are doing things well, and where we need a little help. If you want to add some ideas please feel free to do so in the comments.